In my first steps as a researcher, I have been involved with sensors and communication protocols. I focused on encrypting and compressing data to reduce the energy they consume, leading to a longer usage time. Then I was involved with the combination of data from the sensors and reliable internet data sources. The combination of the data concerned the four-dimensional space and time using UTC timestamp and spatially with the use of Geographic Information Systems (GIS). This led me to the completion of my PhD. Thesis “Forest Fire Management with the i-Protect Simulation Platform”, in which I developed and implemented a platform that uses spread models and simulates past, active and potential fires (operational simulation) or demonstrates a real-time simulation (design simulation) to facilitate the fire extinguishing services and training.
I am researching innovative systems and platforms in several industries mostly; I am specialized in Information Security, Geographical Information Systems, IoT, Big Data, AI and Blockchain platforms in shipping as CIO/CTO at a top-performing maritime company and today as a Professor at the University of Thessaly, CIIM, University of Nicosia & Postdoctoral Researcher at the University of Thessaly. I had the opportunity as Chief Information & Technology Officer (CIO/CTO) at a top-performing shipping company (Angelicoussis Group) to get acquainted with the processes of Shipping companies and the shipping industry in general, mainly because I participated in innovative projects. Some implementation examples, which led and lead to research projects related to the digital transformation of a shipping company, and finally to writing and publishing are,
· Enterprise Intranet Platform (EIP), a SharePoint platform and a development platform for the Digitalized procedures.
· Electronic SMS (e-SMS) for the fleet. Using an Automated system for uploading the changed SMS documents in real-time (less than 10 minutes).
· Operations Voyage Planning Application.
· Onboard Trim Advisor
· 5GENESIS: 5th Generation End-to-end Network, Experimentation, System Integration, and Showcasing (EU 5G-PPP)
· GIS Platform, Asset (Vessels) Management –Vessels Map
· Vessels’ Performance Platform, which is a unique and significant example, is the collection of real-time data from Vessel’s Sensors (IoT) and their representation on the world map1, which is being used by Angelcoussis Group (more than 130 vessels fleet). Highly important is also the vessels’ hull and engine performance monitoring research using Machine Learning or other Algorithms. All the above also contribute to the Vessel Environmental Sustainability.
In my future plans, I will keep researching about computer networks, information security and innovative Information systems – platforms like AI, Blockchain and Internet of Things. I will analyse further the
structure of the Shipping Company and a Vessel with the ultimate purpose of the digital transformation using the above-mentioned innovated Technologies.
Some interesting and already considered and specific topics are:
Digital transformation (in shipping)
All organizations will go through this process. How soon they will start the preparation and initialize the process will determine the easiness this will be done in the small, large, or huge organization.It is a three phases procedure Digitization, Digitalization, Digital Transformation. In a conceptual design, there are seven phases that we must implement for the digital transformation in shipping. Firstly, technological preparation of vessels and shore offices must be carried out, and then:
o Consolidation of the existing applications and the combined use of their information.
o An Internet of Things platform implementation for collecting data from the Vessel.
o Implementation of a digital transformation advertising application, where users of any management level will immediately realize transformation’s results.
o Choice and extensive use of one or more Cloud platforms (for collaboration, data entry, application deployment and e-learning) onshore.
o Implementation of a Cloud-like platform on the Vessel with corresponding capabilities with the one onshore.
o A synchronization solution development on information level, independent from any system (avoidance of the “easy” solutions, each application with a different synchronization tool).
o Massive implementation of user interfaces, reports and dashboards for departments, users, and clients across the organization.
The above phases could be implemented in parallel or in a different sequence. This will be decided on a case-by-case basis.
Blockchain Internet of Vessels
Collecting live data in the marine industry is innovative however, there are many particularities and restrictions such as network’s availability and performance, maintenance and data validity. The idea of combining vessels’ IoT and Blockchain seems a rational way to surpass these issues. Merkel trees, used in Blockchain’s technology, are capable in compressing the information retrieved by vessel’s sensors and more capable in keeping it safe. This could be transmitted into a non-centralized model, creating that way our Blockchained Internet of Vessels (BIoV)
Big Data and Data Lakes and their Contribution to Search and Rescue Operations
Shipping data is growing at an unprecedented rate. Terabytes of oceanographic data are collected every month and Petabytes of data are already available to the public. Large volumes of data from heterogeneous sources such as sensors, boats and satellites could be a source of knowledge in Search and Rescue Operations. However, due to many challenges associated Big Data and the high heterogeneity of their sources, information convergence presents difficulties. We analyze the term Big Data (BD), their (Big Data) deployment in Data Lakes (DL) and their usefulness in Search and Rescue Operations at sea.
The use of information and communication technologies in customs
The main two objectives are; to enhance the convenience, accessibility and quality of interactions within the public and businesses and at the same time to improve the security at the EU’s external borders by facilitating trade and transactions.
Renewable Energy Options for Shipping
The purpose of this research will be to analyse the regulation created by International Maritime Organisation (IMO January 2020)-Marine Environment Protection Commitee (MEPC) and International Convention for Prevention of Marine Pollution for Ships (MARPOL), exactly how it will be applied to the fleet, various technologies or new fuels that could be sustainable (short term-long term),what would be the costs that each ship would bear and what the benefits would be.Additionaly,we refer to some measurement indicators like Ship Energy Efficiency Management Plan (SEEMP),Energy Efficiency Operational Indicator(EEOI) and Energy Efficiency Design Index (EEDI).Additionally, we demonstrate some new applicable fuels and projects that use renewable energy mainly on trial level
Weather routing provides recommendations on transportation routes prior to and during ship sailing in various navigation constraints under global weather forecasts. Safe ship handling provides recommendations on vessel position, orientation and speed conditions that should execute at the previously recommended route (with safe navigation conditions) under local weather conditions. Both approaches that complement each other should be implemented simultaneously to achieve optimal and safe ship navigation conditions. That will facilitate towards future navigation tools in integrated bridge systems, where the respective environmental pollution due to the shipping industry should be minimized.
Implementation ISO 50001 Energy Management System in specific companies
The first approach will be for a Malaysian Copper maker, which actualized Energy Management System (EnMS) standard through the utilization of the PDCA approach. Information will be gathered utilizing the member perception approach. It was seen that the copper producer accomplished energy set aside to 3% in June 2013. This finding validates the significance of having an Energy Management System set up to guarantee business manageability.
Please find below a detailed list of major collaborations – projects
1. “Green Shipping Platform using Machine Learning”, 2022. Infralabs LTD, CMARE Environmental LTD, Angelicoussis Group. Extension of the Performance platform. Monitor the Environmental Key indicators and the Carbon Footprint of the Vessel. Following the Greenhouse Gas (GHG) Study of the International Maritime Organization (IMO) and calculating, using live data from Vessels that are received by Internet of Vessels Platform, the Energy Efficiency Design Index (EEDI), the Energy Efficiency Operational Indicator (EEOI), the Annual Efficiency Ratio (AER), the Individual Ship Performance Indicator (ISPI) etc.
2. “Vessels Performance Monitoring Platform”, 2020. Infralabs LTD, Angelicoussis Group. Using precise measurements, owners can get an accurate overview of vessel fuel consumption, which is compared with the specific engine model, condition, and running mode to identify specific fuel consumption.
3. “OCTANT Ship Fleet Management Platform”, 2019. European Structural and Investment Funds Partnership Agreement 2014-2020. Navios Maritime, Alassia Maritime, Space Hellas SA
Maritime Fleet Management Platform, a GIS monitoring platform, a single point of viewing the information collected from the vessel and other sources.
4. “5GENESIS: 5th Generation End-to-end Network, Experimentation, System Integration, and Showcasing (EU 5G-PPP)”, 2018. Angelicoussis Group (29 Partners), Project ID: 815178 Call: H2020-ICT-2018-1.
The main goal of 5GENESIS to validate 5G KPIs for various 5G use cases, in both controlled set-ups and large-scale events.
5. “Angelicoussis Group’s Enterprise Platform Solution”, 2017. Best Practice Consulting SA, Angelicoussis Group.
Digital transformation and modernization lead Angelicoussis Group to seek of a new Enterprise Platform, Among multiple cloud platform like MS Dynamics 365, Sap Cloud etc.
6. “Mini Intranet – eSMS platform on Vessels”, 2014. Best Practice Consulting SA, Angelicoussis Group.
Mini intranet is a Vessels Centralized information platform. The platform serves and facilitates the structured data transferring between the Operational Vessel’s unstable environment and the Office one.
The platform is composed of two main modules, e-Forms (e-Applications) and e-SMS (e-Documents).
7. “IoT on Vessels (GIS) Platform, Vessels Management –Vessels Map”, 2014. Angelicoussis Group, Infralabs LTD.
IoT on Vessels is a platform, in which shore management companies can collect, transmit, store, analyze and finally use and present vessels live data on a Geographical Information System used as Global Monitoring Platform. We used those data for further analysis, and we produced information about engine performance, gas emissions, navigation, Vessel performance etc.
8. “i-Protect: An Open Source Emergency Management Framework”, 2011. University of Thessaly
Emergency management is an essential capability in modern society. As disasters can happen at any time and can differ from each other considerably, it is necessary to develop a supple framework which can comply with each situation.
9. “BRISEIDE: BRIdging SErvices & Information Data for Europe (EU)”, 2010. Epsilon SA, (14 Partners) Project ID: CIP-ICT-PSP.2009.6.2, Geographic Information, CIP-Pilot Actions (FP7).
A Civil Protection web-GIS s/w platform for hazard management “prior” and “when disaster strikes”. Hazards addressed: Geo-hazards (earthquakes, landslides), Forest Fire hazards, Flood Hazards, etc,
10. “Fire Brigade Computer Based Dispatching System (CBD), GIS Platform”. Athens 2004 Olympic Games event crisis management, Epsilon SA.
Athens 2004 Olympic Games event crisis management.
11. “SEESIM: Project of South-Eastern European Emergency Situation Network Committee”, 2000. Army General Staff